Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Hot off the press!

As I sit here staring at the blank page in front of me, I begin to think about all the reasons I want to write this blog. I've always wanted to have my own blog and to be able to fill it with interesting anecdotes and stories, and have people eventually follow it. I never seemed to be able to find a topic that people would find interesting though. I always felt like just an average girl...what could I say that people would find interesting? And want to read about every few days?

Well, let's back up a few months....to the day I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

On February 2, 2012 I was told by my family doctor that my blood tests had come back and it was clear that I had diabetes. I was immediately referred to an Endocrinologist as well as to a diabetes health centre where I would soon meet my Diabetes Nurse Educator (DNE). At this point I wasn't entirely in shock yet. I had been dealing with many of the symptoms of diabetes during the Fall of 2011 and somehow knew in my gut that it would turn out this way. However, I just assumed I would be Type 2. On February 9, 2012 I met my Endocrinologist for the first time. This is where I found out that it was a very real possibility that I would be Type 1, due to my "profile". No family history, not overweight, etc. When the words came out of her mouth, I have to admit it really blindsided me. How could I, the biggest wimp when it came to needles, have just been diagnosed with a disease where my survival would depend on multiple injections per day?? I left her office that day with numerous instructions and a couple prescriptions for Type 2 medications to try over the weekend in hopes that she may be wrong.

Nope.

My body did not respond at all to the medications. It was official now.

During that following week it felt like a whirlwind of appointments. I was immediately put on rapid acting insulin (bolus) as well as a long acting insulin (basal) at night. I was given numerous brochures, instruction sheets, information packages, and supplies of all kinds. And I was also very quickly forced into over coming my fear of needles when I was required to do a saline injection with the nurse! I tried to get out of it with the promise that it would not be a problem when I got home, but she was smart, and she knew better!

So, now I'm at home with all this information. At the time, I don't think I truly understood how this was going to change my life. I spent a few days in shock and feeling like a fish out of water as I tried to adjust all of my routines to my "new" life. Diabetes is still extremely new to me even as I write this and I find myself continually running into new situations where I have to re-assess how it's going to affect my diabetes routine. I am still using an insulin pen, mainly because I'm still deciding what's going to work best for me, but also because my insurance company doesn't cover the initial costs of an insulin pump.

I think I've adjusted pretty well over the last few months with my new life. I definitely could not have gotten through all this without my live-in boyfriend, my parents, my close friends or the medical team that I work with regularly. I've also found that there is a whole family of support online as well. I've started following several different blogs (see my sidebar) and it has helped me to feel less alone as I try and comprehend everything that has happened. No matter how much support you have at home, it can still be so comforting knowing there are people just like me who are also dealing daily with many of the same troubles and emotions. They have inspired me and reminded me that diabetes does not have to take over my life.

It's now just another part of what makes me, me!






3 comments:

  1. You've come to the right place ;)
    I only wish I had snatched onto the DOC a long time ago! Keep it up, if you write, we will read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement Scully! It feels a little scary to be writting in to cyber space not knowing whether anyone other than my mom is reading this! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. The DOC is the gift that keeps on giving and I'm so glad you found us! I know that your voice can only add to the fantasticalness!
    Kelly K

    ReplyDelete