Tuesday, May 14, 2013

D Blog Week: "We,The Undersigned"





"Recently various petitions have been circulating the Diabetes Online Community, so today let’s pretend to write our own. Tell us who you would write the petition to – a person, an organization, even an object (animate or inanimate) - get creative!! What are you trying to change and what have you experienced that makes you want this change?"

The petition that I would love to get going would definitely be to my insurance company.

  • You coverage amount sucks. Plain and simple. $1000/year for prescriptions is not nearly enough. This covers only a third of my supplies and my costs will likely continue to rise. The rest comes out of pocket for something that I require to stay alive every single day.
  • Your $250/lifetime towards an insulin pump is an absolute slap in the face. One insulin pump will cost me $7000, plus about $250/month for supplies. I'll likely have to buy 2-3 insulin pumps in the remainder of my lifetime, but thanks for that $250 bucks!
  • You need to cover every kind of insulin. I should not have to pay 100% out of pocket for my Lantus insulin. It is the most stable insulin for my needs and helps to keep my blood sugars stable even when I work nights.

And to disability, life, travel, and mortgage insurance companies:

  • I hate that I can no longer apply for additional life insurance to protect those that I may leave behind.
  • I hate that when I travel, I am no longer covered for any issues I may have that relate to my diabetes.
  • I hate that I can't get term insurance on our new mortgage to protect us in the event I can't work for a period of time. I also find your "Rating Guide" highly inaccurate. I am already considered a "moderate risk" client and in 4 years I will be a "severe risk" client. I can't afford to pay your rates to protect us, which leaves me feeling vulnerable.

Please. It's time to get your act together.

Sincerely,

We, the undersigned.




5 comments:

  1. Fantastic post! You are so right, $250 towards a pump? For a lifetime? Absolutely ridiculous! I see you were diagnosed not long after me. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What kind of insurance do you have??? That's horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes!! Those rates suck, and makes life with D all that much more difficult. The horrible coverage and always-increasing rates for insurance is certainly a topic that gets under my skin and one that I'd sign any petition on. Even moreso: a petition that deals with the stupidity that we face when talking to insurance companies on the phone and trying to get a straight answer. That's a headache and medical condition-causing experience in itself. Anyhow, thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is absolutely horrible coverage. You'd think in Canada with our "universal" healthcare we might have better coverage. I hear you about the mortgage insurance. It's a slap in the face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You totally have my signature on both fronts!

    ReplyDelete